Last updated May 27, 2020 at 11:57 a.m.
AMA Coding Guidance during COVID-19
The American Medical Association (AMA) has developed a number of valuable resources to help practices apply the best coding practices during COVID-19.
- Special coding advice. Not compatible with mobile browsers.
- CPT reporting for COVID-19 testing
- CMS payment policies and regulatory flexibilities
- Telehealth Implementation Playbook
AAFP Telehealth and Virtual Care Resources
The American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) offers a collection of resources on using telehealth to care for patients during COVID-19.
NC AHEC Telehealth and High-Risk Patient Management Checklist
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, primary care practices are facing unprecedented cancellations by patients who have scheduled follow up visits for chronic disease management. Use this checklist to systematically improve chronic disease management in this vulnerable group of patients.
NC AHEC COVID-19 Telehealth Toolkit for Behavioral Health Providers
The Greensboro AHEC Practice Support team has worked with telehealth experts across North Carolina to develop the COVID-19 Telehealth Toolkit for Behavioral Health Providers.
This toolkit is comprised of the following:
- Behavioral Health Telehealth Tipsheet with links to additional resources
- HIPAA Compliant COVID-19 Telehealth Platform Crosswalk
- COVID-19 Behavioral Health Billing/Coding Matrix (for various payors (NC Medicaid, Medicare, NCBCBS) and Telepsychiatry Guidelines from the American Psychiatric Association
- Appendix A: The Crosswalk of HIPAA Compliant Telehealth Platforms is available via email from your local NC AHEC Practice Support coaches. Find your regional AHEC.
NC AHEC Medicare & Commercial Telehealth Coding Guidance
April 14, 2020
NC AHEC Practice Support offers a tip sheet covering changes to Medicare and commercial telehealth billing codes.
NC AHEC Practice Support Telehealth FAQ for Patients
NC AHEC Practice Support offers a patient-facing FAQ to respond to requests about COVID-19 testing, virtual visits, and health insurance coverage.
NC Medicaid Billing Code Changes
NC DHHS offers a NC Medicaid Telehealth Billing Code Summary document updated regularly.
NC Medicaid is also implementing a phased approach in responding to the COVID-19 outbreak in North Carolina. Please refer to the NC Medicaid website for details and up-to-date information on COVID-19.
March 13, 2020
The priority in Phase 1 is maintain access to care for all beneficiaries while prioritizing safety for providers and patients by reducing unnecessary exposure through social distancing efforts.
March 26, 2020
The priority in Phase 2 is to expand access to care via telehealth technologies for all beneficiaries in an effort to prioritize safety for providers and patients by reducing unnecessary exposure through social distancing efforts.
April 24, 2020
The priority in Phase 3 is to expand access to care via telehealth technologies and conduct well visits with patients to ensure the provision of comprehensive and preventive health care services for children under age 21.